BREVARD, N.C. – The third-seeded Queens Royals claimed the 2016 South Atlantic Conference Men's Tennis Tournament Championship with a 5-4 win over No. 5 Newberry Sunday afternoon at the McCoy Tennis Complex on the campus Brevard College in Brevard, N.C. With the win, Queens earns the South Atlantic Conference's automatic bid to the 2016 NCAA Men's Tennis Championship.
Queens' Giovanni Setti survived match point and won the tiebreaker at the No. 5 flight to earn the match-clinching point and push the Royals to the 2016 SAC Championship.
Newberry won the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 flights. Jordan Monosky and Jacob Svantesson defeated Jules Athalis and Giovanni Setti 8-6 at the second flight. At No. 3, Richard Zeh and Logan Adkins picked up an 8-6 win over Zachary Williams and Ole-Jacob Meum. Queens' doubles win came from Per-Erik Soler and Andor Vas as the duo defeated Fernando Espana and Fernando Tous 8-4 at the No. 1 flight.
Soler won at the No. 1 singles flight 6-3, 6-2 over Espana and Queens No. 2 player picked up a win with a 6-4, 6-0 win against Tous.
Newberry battled back with wins at the No. 3 and No. 4 positions. Monosky defeated Vas 6-3, 6-2, while Svantesson picked up a 6-4, 6-2 over Williams.
At the No. 6 position Meum downed Atkins 7-6, (7-5), 6-2 to set up Setti's exciting finish.
Queens' Soler was named the Tournament's Most Outstanding Player.
No. 3 Queens U. of Charlotte 5, No. 5 Newberry 4
1. Per-Erik Soler (QUM16) def. Fernando Espana (NBY) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jules Athalis (QUM16) def. Fernando Tous (NBY) 6-4, 6-0
3. Jordan Monosky (NBY) def. Andor Vas (QUM16) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jacob Svantesson (NBY) def. Zachary Williams (QUM16) 6-4, 6-2
5. Giovanni Setti (QUM16) def. Angel Pizarro (NBY) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Ole-Jacob Meum (QUM16) def. Logan Adkins (NBY) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
1. Per-Erik Soler/Andor Vas (QUM16) def. Fernando Espana/Fernando Tous (NBY) 8-4
2. Jordan Monosky/Jacob Svantesson (NBY) def. Jules Athalis/Giovanni Setti (QUM16) 8-6
3. Richard Zeh/Logan Adkins (NBY) def. Zachary Williams/Ole-Jacob Meum (QUM16) 8-6
No. 5 Newberry 20-6
No. 3 Queens U. of Charlotte 14-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)
2016 South Atlantic Conference Men's Tennis Championship Final
Queens receives automatic bid to NCAA Men's Tennis Championship